Saturday, March 29, 2008

photos from Thailand

Finally, I've caught up to posting pictures from Thailand. I apologize if the order I've posted my pictures is confusing. If you want to view the photos chronologically, this is the order of my travels:

Tanzania
Zanzibar
Zambia
Namibia
South Africa
Thailand

Just follow the title of the blog post to find pictures from each country.

And now for Thailand!

Ahh, the food. Spectacular, and cheap--hands down the best I've had on this trip. From coconut chicken soup (tom kha gai) to curry fish, they have all your favorites, anywhere in the city. And it usually won't cost you more than $3:



I took the next few photos in the Ko Ratanakosin area, which Lonely Planet accurately describes as "a veritable Vatican City of Thai Buddhism:"

















Thailand's largest reclining Buddha:



The seafood market near Wat Pho (an area also famous for its massages):



Even on an average weekday, the famous (infamous?) Khao San Road is packed with people and activity:



My friend, Manuella, and me sampling the selection of insects, from grasshoppers to worms and cockroaches:



Here we are indulging in grasshoppers topped with a delicate hint of chili powder:



Fight night! Last night was one of Thailand's biggest muay thai tournaments of the year, featuring ten rounds, each showcasing a champion fighter. Anthony, a friend from Hong Kong who happens to be a huge fan of Thai boxing, invited me to the event:



Just to give you some background information, muay thai fighters are usually about 20 to 25 years old, but can compete as young as 15. They are generally between 100 and 130 pounds, and must be at least 100 pounds to compete. Most fighters come from very poor families, and earn a meager $5 their first win. Training is their life; they generally do not go to school. From an early age they train fourteen hours a day, waking up at 5am, running 10 to 15 kilometers, then training until dinner time, with breaks for meals.

The fighters preparing for the fight:





A young fan admiring the champion belt:



The ring:



Fighters punch, kick, and are even allowed to use knees, elbows, and even occasionally head butt. The fights are intense when compared to boxing in the US--for example, even with blood rushing from a young fighter's forehead into his eyes, the referee refused to pause the fight (I was sitting in front of a Japanese woman who was horrified at the sight and started screaming). Fighters are often tripped and thrown to the ground. Some shots of the fights:













In an area near the fighter's corner, there is a section reserved for family members and friends. Not surprisingly, they are among the loudest fans in the place, leading cheers that follow every connected kick or punch:



Thailand's champion fighter receiving some advice:



Following the fights, fighters are very friendly and welcoming toward fans. They usually spend a good amount of time posing for pictures, which I took advantage of:





The final highlight of the night was Anthony's and my waittress, Mimi:



Well, the sun has set since I've been in this internet cafe, and I'm starting to get hungry. I think it's time to head out into Bangkok to see what I can find...

Until next time, I'm wishing you all the best!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Looks like you're having a great time. We check out the blog often. Nice to see some new pix. Hey, that boxer looks pretty small, we think you can take him!
Stay safe....
Heidi, Steve & Dylan

Nikki Prevatte said...

Dustin your blog is amazing... I am so incredibly jealous of all the amazing places you have gone and all the crazy sights you have seen. I cant believe some of the animals you were able to come in contact with... amazing. I hope you are having the time of your life and please continue to share your amazing pictures. When you get back home your gonna have to share all of your stories with me! Miss you and wish you all the best!

Aldo said...

Hi Dustin! Such a long time! Here we are with Emita. I'm working with her at CeRP. We are reading your blog and having a look at the photographs in there. They are really amazing.You are really enjoying the food, aren't you? You are getting bigger (isn't it a subtle way to say fatter)jaja. I really miss you emails. Please Write whenever you can.
Take care
Aldo and Emita

Unknown said...

i think that picture of you and mimi is the least surprising photo of all of these.