Saturday, February 23, 2008

train delays in Dar

I'm currently in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, waiting to board a train to Kapiri Mposhi, Zambia. The train was supposed to leave yesterday, but 'mechanical difficulties' caused a one day delay. Apparently delays in Africa's train system are pretty normal.

Dar isn't a bad place to be stuck for a day. I have a basic room at the local YWCA with a bed, mosquito net, and sink. It's pretty comfortable, but the midnight curfew was a bit annoying. Last night I saw "Gone Baby Gone" at a mall near the university. Seeing movies while traveling is always an enjoyable experience for me--it's like getting a little taste of home. I've also been reading a lot lately. I'm making my way through Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons," which is entertaining. I'm looking forward to beginning some of the other books I recently bought (a couple books by Nabokov, Turgenev, and Tolstoy). In my room at the YWCA I also found "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and clay," which I'm looking forward to starting. I left "Animal Farm" in its place for the next visitor to room 9.

My train should leave at 3pm today (7am EST I think). The trip from here to Kapiri Mposhi, Zambia, will take just over forty hours. In Kapiri Mposhi, I'll find a bus to Lusaka (Zambia's capital), then to Livingstone, the gateway to Victoria Falls. After Victoria Falls, I plan to take public transportation back to Lusaka, then to Malawi's capital, Lilongwe. From there I'll head east to Mozambique (I got a 2-month, multi-entry visa without any problems). I plan to make my way down Mozambique's coast to Swaziland and South Africa. But I should be posting again long before that.

I hope you're all doing well. I got to see a good friend from Florida, Katie, here in Dar. She's studying abroad here, and invited me to explore a bit of the city, and to visit an English class she teaches for local craftsmen. It was a wonderful experience, and I was very impressed by their dedication to their studies.

Dina left for New York City a few days ago, which means I'm now officially on my own. It's a bittersweet transition, but I'm excited about the adventures that lie ahead, and the new friends I'll make. Backpacking usually provides a constant supply of interesting and unique characters.

I hope you're all doing well! I'll be back soon with an update.

No comments: