Saturday, February 9, 2008

a quick update

Hello everyone! I have only a few minutes here in Kampala, Uganda to write, but I'll start by saying that things are going very well. Uganda is a beautiful country, with rolling, green hills, tons of flowers and vegetation, and some of the friendliest people I've ever met. Riding in a taxi, all the kids wave and yell "mzungu!" which means "white person!" Fortunately, Uganda is very stable, and the people seem to take a very active interest in the events of their neighbors. This has given me some great opportunities to learn about the turmoil that often affects Africa from a perspective I've never had before.

Last week, Dina (my college friend and travel companion) and I went hiking in the Bwindi impenetrable forest to track down a family of mountain gorillas. The experience was spectacular and unforgettable--we got within 10 feet of the gorillas, including a silverback. They were incredibly docile as they munched their leaves, and seemed to only be mildly curious in us.

Yesterday was another highlight, as we went rafting the Nile. We rafted about four class 5 rapids (the highest allowed for rafting). Contrary to what I was expecting, the experience was really intense. Two times our raft was flipped, and I was held underwater for about 15 seconds (the first time only to come up under another raft!). The second time a kayaker had to rescue me--I was coughing up water for about five minutes. It was pretty awesome!

Tomorrow Dina and I will fly to Kilimanjaro, in Tanzania, in preparation for our trip to the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater. Following that, we will head to Zanzibar, where I will plan the next five months of my journey!

I'm wishing you all the best--I'll write again when I get a chance!

No comments: